Sibiu's historical and architectural heritage

 

9 Mai Street

Important objectives of this street:
foto
harta
9 Mai Street

Old names:

1556 În der Elzebuttengassen
1872 Elizabethgasse
1934 str Elisabeta
1937 9 mai

It is the oldest street of the town, being called for a long time ’’Elisabeta” Street.
The street has 7 objectives declared historical monuments. 4 of these houses keep certain medieval elements from the 15th-17th centuries (2 with significant elements, 2 with fragments).
The road crossing between ’’9 Mai” Street and ’’Ocnei” Street is considered to be the centre of the Lower Town. The place is called Dragoner Square. At the end of the 19th century the flea market was organised here until 1904 when it is moved to the end of ’’Ocnei” Street.
Until 1976 in the middle was a building as an island in the place of ’’Straja Dragonilor” (1687-1710). The building had certain baroque and neoclassic elements dated from 1800.
At the ground floor there was a Post Office, then around the 50s-60s ’’Libraria Noastra” no. 2 which from the 70s untill its wrecking changed into ’’Libraria Lyceum”, being one of the biggest libraries in the town.
In the place of the present building situated on the corner of ’’Constitutiei” Street there is
The Church of St. Elisabeth Monastery owned by the Franciscan Order. During 1526-1527 the Lutheran liturgies were held here. It was knocked down in 1868.

9 Mai Street

No. 18, 9 Mai Street

19th century
Basement, ground floor and upper floor building with the short side towards the street. Ridged roof, low down-grade, the comb parallel to the street, an eye skylight.

St. Moga chemist’s was opened in 1923.

9 Mai Street

No. 26, 9 Mai Street

18th century
Basement, ground floor and upper floor building with seven axes on the upper floor and six on the ground floor, where close to the windows there is the passangers’ door and a passing corridor. Prominent eaves, a low ridged roof and two eye skylights.

9 Mai Street

No. 42, 9 Mai Street

the end of the 19th century – the beginning of the 20th century

Basement, ground and attic floor building. Above the gate’s corridor there is a three-sided bow-window with windows on each side.
Ridged roof, the comb parallel to the facade.
Here lived the write and poet Andrei Codrescu.

9 Mai Street

No. 54, 9 Mai Street

the end of the 18th century – the beginning of the 19th century

A ground and upper floor building made by bringing together two distinct buildings. The facade (the end of the 19th century) is structured in seven axes on the upper floor and six on the ground floor. Ridged roof, low down-grade, the comb parallel to the facade.

9 Mai Street

No. 57, 9 Mai Street

the end of the 18th century – the beginning of the 19th century

Basement, ground and upper floor building. The upper floor’s windows have shuttles of adjusting strips, a prominent panel- decorated parapet.
Above the gate’s corridor there is a many-sided bow-window with windows on each side.
Ridged roof, the comb parallel to the facade and two eye skylights.

Comments:

mb @ 31/03/2016, 14:04
Domnul Bararu, atelierul fotografic al bunicului d-voastra era in aceasta casa?
add a comment