Sibiu's historical and architectural heritage

 

Avram Iancu Street

Important objectives of this street:
foto
harta
Avram Iancu Street

It is one of the oldest streets in the town, since the second half of the 15th century, when the work on the second ring of fortifications was completed.
It was inhabited by rich craftsmen, and afterwards by the town’s patriciate; for centuries, this street was the best address in Sibiu.
In 1556 it appears under the name of Reyssbargas, in 1776 it is called  platea oryza and since 1875 it is called  Reispergasse until 1919 when it receives the present name of  Avram Iancu, with the exception of the years 1948-1970 when it was called  23 august Street.
In 1736 the location of a pipe fountain is mentioned. The fountain was placed in front of no.1 house, it was decorated with a colossal stone shell on which a Latin inscription from the year 1637 could be read.
The buildings on the left, numbers from 7-11 have the yards supported on the citadel’s old wall, the 3rd precinct (1366) or even have inside defense towers, as it is the case of the houses from no. 9, 13, 19 and 31.
Avram Iancu Street was connected to Gen Magheru Street through a two-vaulted bridge. The bridge, together with the neighbouring house was demolished in the middle of the 19th century, in order to expand the access.
Halfway down the street, on the left, the School’s Passage starts through a tunnel that connects the lower city ( Movilei Street).

Avram Iancu Street

No. 18, Avram Iancu Street

16th – 18th century
Basement and ground floor building. A facade structured on five axes. On the right, there are four traditional windows with plaster framing. Three ridged roof, with the ridge parallel to the facade, with two eye skylights. The basement dates from the medieval period.

Avram Iancu Street

No. 22, Avram Iancu Street

18th century, 1860-1880
Rectangular house which form together with the Magheru 27 building an enclosure. The four axes facade displays neogothical decorations. Ridged roof, with the ridge parallel to the street.

The present appearance of the building dates from 1860 when it was restored by Johann Pechi

Avram Iancu Street

No. 26, Avram Iancu Street

1920-1940
Basement, ground floor and upper floor building with a six axes facade. On the left, there is a three sides bowindow to which it correspond the access door, on the ground floor. ridged roof, with the ridge parallel to the facade and two eye skylights.

Avram Iancu Street

No. 33, Avram Iancu Street

17th-18th century
Building consisting of several bodies forming a unified site. The facade has six axes to the street. Ridged roof, with the ridge parallel to the facade. the cellars are semicilindrical vaulted.

add a comment