Sibiu's historical and architectural heritage

 

Bastionului Street

The street was formed in 1903 after the demolition of wall linking the former bastion Soldisch to Cisnadiei Gate.
In the interwar period was called Passage Cristea.

foto
harta
Bastionului Street
Main objectives from Bastionului Street
Bastionului Street

No. 2, Bastionului Street

17th – 18th century
The longest flank of the main body which looks onto Bastionului Street is covered by a two-ridged roof, with a crest parallel to the street and eye-shaped skylights.
The façade presents small traditional windows, Baroque woodwork and massive epoch chimneys.

Bastionului Street

No. 4, Bastionului Street

17th century, the end of the 18th century – the beginning of the 19th century
The main body is formed of a semi-basement and a ground floor, it has a rectangular shape, with the longer flank looking onto the street and displaying five traditional windows. It is covered by a two-ridged roof, with a crest parallel to the street and a massive chimney covered by a two-ridged roof, towards the courtyard.

Bastionului Street

No. 6, Bastionului Street

A foster home for children opened here on September 1st, 1909 at the initiative of the Child Protection Association, following the plans of architect F. Buertmes.
The present day orphanage was called The Children’s Home during the communist period.
The first building, the one in the rondo next to the wall, appears for the first time in a map in 1907 and was erected by architect Josef Bedeus von Scharberg. The building displays a tower, probably in remembrance of the fact that the Soldishturm was situated nearby until 1881.
A day care center functioned in the building at the corner with Alba Iulia Street during the communist period.

add a comment