Sibiu's historical and architectural heritage

 

Pompeiu Onofrei Street

Old names:

1640 Bey der Haller Pastey
1872 Hallergasse,
1936 Haller
1947 L. Pasteur
1970 Maternităţii
2005 P Onofreiu

foto
harta
Pompeiu Onofrei Street
Main objectives from Pompeiu Onofrei Street
Pompeiu Onofrei Street

No. 1, P. Onofrei Street

1891-1909
The building is formed of a basement, a ground floor and the first floor and has a richly decorated façade in an eclectic style. The edifice is situated at the crossroad with Gh. Lazăr Street. The long façade looking onto Maternităţii Street is structured on nine lines, the pedestrian access being placed at the center. Beneath the gutter, the perimeter is surrounded by a floral garland frieze. The ridged roof has a crest parallel to the facades.

Pompeiu Onofrei Street

No. 7, P. Onofrei Street

18th century; 1907
The building is formed of two separate bodies. The body situated at the corner with Filarmonicii Street is formed of a basement and the ground floor and dates from the 18th century. It presents three windows looking onto Maternităţii Street. The ridged roof has a crest parallel to the façade and two skylights covered with a gradient break.

The body with the façade looking onto Filarmonicii Street dates from 1907. It is formed of a basement, a ground floor, two floors and an attic. The asymmetrical façade is structured on nine lines and presents Neo-Gothic decorative elements. The ridged roof has a crest parallel to the street.

The body on Filarmonicii Street was erected by the Association of Evangelic Women in order to shelter the school set up by the Association and the Association offices. It was also known under the name of Julie Jikeli House.
The Work School of the General Association of Evangelic Women functioned here.
Victor Tordasianu and painter Hertmann Hartmann lived in the old building on Filarmonicii Street during the 20th century.

Pompeiu Onofrei Street

No. 8, P. Onofrei Street

1914
It is the Neurology Hospital which was built on the Haller Bastion.
In 1911, the City Hall bought the terrain within the precinct of the Bastion and built the Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital with a capacity of 80 beds and a boarding house for 80 midwifes. On May 1st, 1914, the State Institute for the training of midwifes was inaugurated in the present day building, which hosts the Maternity Ward.

The riding school (the manege) existed in this location in 1771.

add a comment