{top_en}

The Lutheran Church: points of interest

select:
HISTORICAL CHURCHES:
{meniu_biserici_en}
foto
{album_evanghelica}
harta
The Lutheran Church: points of interest
1 The bronze baptismal font is the work of craftsman Leonhardus dating from 1438. Tradition has it that the baptismal font was cast from the bronze of the Turkish canons which were captured by the inhabitants of the city in 1437. A number of 228 embossed plates are placed on its surface, many of them being figurative representations of byzantine influence. 12 The crowns from the southern collateral represent the head of Jesus, the lamb bearing the ensign (Agnus Dei) and that of Jesus with a book in his hands (1425);
2 The fresco entitled "The crucifixion" by Johannes of Rozenaw (1445) represents the scene of the crucifixion, being framed by an architectural border in which biblical and historical characters are placed, namely the canonized kings Stephen and Ladislau . 13 (at the bottom) The icon of the crucified Jesus dating from 1545
(at the top); The epitaph of mayor Peter Binder von Sachsenfels (1765);
3 The new altar (1854) 14 The loft windows (1899);
4 (bottom) The epitaph of Margareta Budai
(top) The epitaph of Daniel von Klocknern (1754)
15 The Altar (1854)
5 The old altar of the Evangelical Church (1545) is the work of master Vincentius, the volets being inspired from the cycle of the Sorrows signed by Albrecht Dürer. 16 The door of the sacristy and the medieval door lock (found at the inside of the sacristy).
6 The crowns on the northern collateral present Mary and Jesus and the symbols of Evangelists Lucas and Marcus (around the year 1425). 17 The Southern portal (1457) displays a Baroque style door
7 The tomb of Samuel von Brukenthal (1803) 18 An anaglyph on the subject of the Prayer on the Mount of Olives (the 15th century);
8 The epitaph of Johann Haupt, mayor and administrative manager, 1686; 19 The door entablement (1595) most likely having been brought here from the house of administrative manager Albert Huet
9 The epitaph of Samuel Baussnern, mayor and administrative manager (1780). 20 The Northern portal was produced by stone mason Nicolaus (1509).
10 The epitaph of administrative manager Valentin Franck von Frankestein made by Sebastian Hann in 1694 21 The tower bells, the oldest of which dates from the 15th century, having been re-melted in 1891,
The tower clock, the present day clock dating from 1881;
11 The tomb stone of mayor Simon Baussner is made of polychrome stone (1749);    
Here are other items in the Church inventory:

- A wooden statuary group representing Jesus between two angels (the second half of the 16th century), brought here from the Evangelic Parish in Copşa Mare, where it was displayed in the Ferula;
- The commemorative plate for the heroes of World War I (1928) is found on the wall at the left of the nave
- The stained glass windows in the transept (the beginning of the 20th century);
- The stalls in the naves and the choir (1854/1855);
- The organ, constructed by Wilhelm Sauer’s company (Frankfurt/Oder), was installed in the Church in Sibiu in 1915;
- ‘The painted chronicle’ containing the main events of the city life is situated on the Western wall of the tribune above the Ferula
{footer_en}