The Evangelic Church: Timeline

The Evangelic Church: Timeline
1322 Documentary evidence of the existence of an older church on the place of the actual church. It’s patron saint was Virgin Mary;
1350 Construction of the actual church begins;
1371 Documents mention the construction of the choir, the older part of the church;
1424 Work on the construction site of the church resumes: the walls are elevated another 2.6 m, the naves are widened. The completion of the naves with cross vaults on ogival arches;
1448 An extension on the West side is built - the ferula;
1457 The South portal is built;
1471 The first construction phase is finished;
1474 The aspect of the South side of the church was modified after 1474 when it was decided to enlarge the existing basilica. Therefore the exterior wall of the Southern aisle was raised, its roof too at the height of thecentral nave while and on top of the old aisle appeared a balcony with vaults decorated with painted stars. This balcony covered also the Southern nave of the ferula and the trasept but this part was later removed;
1477 The sacristy is enlarged;
1494 The tower is finished after adding two new levels.
1499 Another level on the tower is built;
1509 On the North side an entrance stone porch is built. The porch was made by the stonecutter Nicolas after the model on the one on the South side.
1519 In the South side a balcony and the entrance porch is built;
1520 For a better access in the big tower, an exterior narrow tower with spiral stairs was built adjoining the Southern façade;
1585 The town buys a new organ;
1619 After lightning struck the East wing all the spires of the towers are covered in gilded copper;
1650 The painter Georg Hermann repaints Rosenaur mural in the church;
1676 The choir is painted in blue with golden stars while the nave is painted in white;
1720 A new altar is installed while the old altar is moved at the Ursuline’s Church;
1796 Burial in the church is forbidden. Nevertheless one exception was made in 1803 when Barron Samuel von Brukenthal was buried near the first pillar of the central nave, near the pulpit;
1805 The roof of the tower is renovated;
1853 A wall is built to separate the ferula is separated from the central naves. The tombs in the church are covered with pavement and the 67 tombstones are brought to the ferula. The pulpit is moved from the central nave near the left arch of the choir;
1855 Renovation works are finished and the church is re-consecrated;
1874 The Johannis bell is installed. It weighs 2.6 tons;
1881 The new clock in the church tower is functional and starts measuring time;
1890 The big bell (XIVth century) cracks. The church has it molten, re-cast and installed back in the tower in 1891.
1892 Coal burning stoves are installed for heating the church;
1910 Renovation works;
1915 The new organ is inaugurated on December 24th;
1928 A plate commemorating the soldiers fallen in WWI is placed in the church;
1956 The plastering of the church adn the tower are renewed;
1978 1978-1982 The roof covering is replaced;