Sibiu's historical and architectural heritage

 

No. 7, Nicolae Balcescu Street

No. 7, Nicolae Balcescu Street

18th century

Description:

A  basement, ground floor and two upper floors house. The facade displays five symetrical axes, centrally,on the ground floor there is the cross-vaulted corridor courtyard access with a wooden gate.
High ridged roof, the ridge parallel to the front,high rectangular skylights with triangular pediment. Barrel vaults are preserved in the basement,evidence of an older building, probably from the 15th -16th century.

The Baroque staircase on the right, with wooden frames and stone stairs (18th century)

History:

At this address Hugo Lüdeke opens in 1850 his jewelry store (moved to Great Square no.6), and in  1853 Samuel Schönwetter will open the first barber’s from Sibiu.
Also here Viktor Heldenberg will move his piano store in 1900. The store, opened in 1865, was the first piano store in Transylvania (Klavier- u. Harmoniumhandlung)

add a comment