|1845||Michael Fonn opened the first meat products factory in Sibiu; It will stay opened until World War I;|
|1848||Daniel Meltzer’s candle and soap factory opened. In the period between the two World Wars the factory was known under the name of “Gums”|
|1850||Johann Kessler opened a meat products factory. It will be purchased in 1928 by Alfred Dahinten who moved his factory from Sebeş to Sibiu. Its offices were situated on Valea Mare Street;
A number of 16 meat products producers were known to have unwound their activity in Sibiu.
Here a few:
- Josefa Unterer’s salami factory on Crisanei Street. Towards the end of the century, his son, Hans Unterer had a factory on Victoriei Street which he later moved onto Lungă Street;
- A. Wilh. Hartmann’s salami factory situated on Băii Street was the first salami factory in Transylvania powered by steam machines;
- Julius Gabersig’s salami factory on Dealului Street;
- Anna Luckardi’s salami factory on Morilor Street;
- Georg Rummler’s salami factory on Somesului Street. His business was continued by his sons until around World War I;
- Anton Markoczi’s salami factory on Victoriei Street;
- Weiss und Pollak salami factory on 9 mai Street;
- Hantschel Franz’s salami factory on Calea Dumbrăvii Street;
- Fritz Jauering’s salami factory on Câmpului Street;
- The salami factory of Gustav Nussbächer (1858-1925), who donated Schiller’s bust to the city.
|1853||M.S. Rubinstein’s spirits factory opened;|
|1855||Friederich Fabritius’s boiler factory was opened. It was later known as the Virola Factory. After nationalization, it will be incorporated in the Independenta Plant;|
Johann Habermann took over the city beerhouse and transformed it into the Hermannstadter Brauhaus Gesellschaft. În 1863 Johann Habermann bought this beerhouse and changed its name into Brauhaus Inhaber. The factory closed down in the second decade of the 20th century. A beer factory owned by Gustav Binder and Sons will later open in this location.
|1862||Gustav Wilhelm opened the first terracotta and ceramics products factory in Ardeal. At first, it was situated on Gării Street and it subsequently moved on Rotarilor Street.|
|1863||Ludwig Fronius (1842-1913) opened the first vinegar factory in Sibiu.
Josef Preisler senior opened the first cloth factory in the Dumbrava Forest. The business will be continued by his son, Josef Preisler jr. (1863-1939) who will marry Leontine Scholze (1865-1928), the daughter of another cloth producer, Adolf Scholze.
After this marriage, the two factories merged at the beginning of the 20th century under the name of Scholze & Preisler.
|1864||Gustav Moess opened the first safe factory in Transylvania on Tribunei Street. There also existed another safe factory belonging to Oeszi Geza, situated on Tribunei Street as well.|
|1868||The furniture factory belonging to Ludwig Illesy opened on the present day Uzinei Street;
Franz Neuzil’s bindery opened. Towards the end of the 19th century it transformed into the first cardboard factory in Sibiu (on Pielăriei Street).
|1869||Samuel Wagner opened the first machine factory and iron casting house in Ardeal, on the former location of the Independenta factory. After World War I it entered bankruptcy and was incorporated into the Rieger Plant.
The first wool mill opened in Dumbrava Sibiului (the future Sitex carpet factory).
|1870||Carl Weindel opened the carriage and baby stroller factory on the present day Andrei Şaguna Street.|
|1875||Andreas Rieger opened the agricultural machines factory in the area of the Cibin Market, becoming the most important machine factory in Ardeal in a very short time.|
|1876||The first knitting factory in Sibiu was founded by Marie Vogelsang. The initial capital of the company was of 50 florins and had a single machine. In 1909 her husband, Gustav Vogelsang, and his sons, Gustav and Adolf, entered the business. In 1924 the workshop was transformed into a factory. Most of the machines were purchased between 1924 and 1928, the factory reaching a point in which it had 78 manual and circular knitting machines.
After nationalization, it transformed into the Drapelul Roşu knitted goods factory.
|1878||Adolf Rieger opened a liqueur and soda factory on Teilor Street. This business will be continued by Henrich Rieger.
At the end of the 19th century there were several beverage factories in Sibiu:
- The factory opened by Georg Schenker on Pielarilor Street. This business will be continued under the name of Georg Schenker & Söhne on Nicolae Teclu Street;
- Wilhelm Göllner’s liqueur factory on Dealului Street, which will be relocated on Lemnelor Street;
- Michael Hager’s spirits factory on Şaguna Street;
- Josef Winkel’s spirits factory on Faurului Street.
|1880||Friederich Scherer opened a textile factory on Şaguna Street, which will be carried on until 1930 by his son under the name of Karl Scherer & Söhne;|
|1882||Brothers Johann and Adolf Hager opened the Hagerbrau beer factory;|
|1883||Carl Wachsmann founded an industrial and agricultural machines factory in the area of the Cibin Market. Later on it moved on Plopilor Street and during the inter-war period this business was continued by Fritz Wachsmann;
Other repair workshops and machines and tools manufactures also existed in Sibiu:
- Paul Giebner opened his machine manufacture on Tribunei Street,
- Gruber und Mercsik workshop opened in Aurarilor Square,
- The Merger agricultural machines factory opened on the location of the Independenta Plant, and will later be purchased by Samuel Wagner.
|1886||Iosif Datky and his sons opened a bodywork manufacture.|
|1888||The new city butchery opened on December 1st , 1888. In July 1937 the butchery was equipped with electrical slaughtering machinery;|
Albert Henrich’s skin dressing factory opened on Valea Mare Street and Friederich Hintz’s factory opened on Vopsitorilor Street. After World War I, Henrich’s factory is taken over by Artenie Brasoveanu. After nationalization, it became the “13 decembrie Plant”, which also incorporated Hintz’s factory;
The Mersing & Lessel lumber factory was opened;
The first pasta factory in Ardeal opened on Saguna Street under the name of Jacob Uhl S.A.;
Founded in 1830 in Sighisoara, the Wilhelm Gottschling bell and pump factory moved to Sibiu on Konrad Haas Street
|1891||The toy factory (Spielwarenfabrik, Aktiengesellschaft. Fabrik) opened but only a few years later, it closed down;|
|1892||A lumber factory opened in the Railway Station Square;
Samuel Zacharias’s leather factory opened on Vopsitorilor Street;
We must also mention other cloth producers who unwound their activity in Sibiu at the end of the 19th century:
- The tanneries of Friedrich Bordan, Friedrich Ferentzi and Samuel Reinerth were situated on Valea Mare Street;
- The tanneries of Johann Fleischer and Ştefan Török were situated on Rimsky Korsakov Street;
- The tannery of Josef Möferdt was situated on Turnului Street and that of Friedrich Konnerth on Ocnei Street.
An electrical plant was founded in Sibiu on December 16th, 1896, at the initiative of Carl Wolff. Sibiu was the first city in Romania to be lighted by means of electricity and the third such city in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, after Vienna and Budapest;
Fritz W. Elges’s furniture factory opened on Constituţiei Street. During the inter-war period it will be known under the name of the Albert Weiss Furniture Factory.
The brick factory opened in Guşteriţa;
The Friederic Czell & Sons spirit and liqueur factory opened on Lemnelor Street, on the location of the former beverages factory belonging to Wilhelm Göllner.
|1903||Wilhelm Wazer opened a cheese factory, the first rolled cheese factory in Sibiu (Walzenkäse);
1903 – Arpad Datky founded the “Forge” factory. In 1920, the factory changed its name to "Elastic A. Datky" and subsequently, in 1934 its name became the Elastic Factory. In 1948, after the nationalization, it will be called the State Elastic Enterprise, which then became IPAS;
1903 – The Samoila brick factory opened in Guşteriţa
|1904||The candle and stearin factory merges with the Ardeal Union Bank, resulting into the Phönix Anonymous Society for Industry. During the inter-war period, it was taken over by the Vereinsbank A.G. Hermannstadter Bank;|
|1905||Karl Albrecht founded the “Lică” Food Industry Factory. After nationalization its name will change into “Victoria”;|
The Donath & Haas lumber factory opened in Lazaret. After the war it was known as the Ofa Factory;
Friedrich Homm’s cheese factory opened on Targu Vinului Street, being the first “sheep cheese factory in Ardeal”;
Carl Bock’s cloth factory opened on the present day Rimski Korsakov Street. Bock was married to Hermine, the daughter of cloth producer Josef Preisler Jr. During the inter-war period, the business was continued by their daughter, Berta Bock, the great grand-daughter of Josef Preisler senior.
A tile factory was founded by Gustav Binder (1865-1933). Starting with 1933, the business was taken over by Kurt Binder.
|1917||The cloth and fabric factory named Gromen & Herbert S.A. opened, having unwound its activity in Cisnădie as early as 1904. After the nationalization, it became the Libertatea fabric factory;|
|1918||Alexander Korn founded the shoe polish factory on Dârstelor Street. It will later be called the “Ko-Ko” Plant.|
|1919||The army repair workshops, which later became the Army Arsenal, opened in the buildings on Victoriei Boulevard where the artillery parts and ammunition warehouses could be found in 1872. In 1964 it transformed into the Automecanica Auto Part Factory, and in 1969 it will be incorporated into the IPAS Plant.|
Eduard Wellmann founded the “Welline” Factory, which produced chemical products, shoe polishes and ink. It was located on Teilor Street, in Lazaret. After World War II it will transform into a soap, glycerin, candle and textile bleach factory called “Steaua”
Starch factory (Stärkefabrik) Amylon opened on Abatorului Street;
The Benker & Jickeli S.I.N.C machine and iron casting factory opened. After nationalization, it became the mechanical plant in Sibiu, and after 1990 it changed its name into SIMEROM. În 2008 the factory was demolished;
|1921||The “Herma” footwear factory opened on Ocnei Street, being owned by the Romanian Bank. The factory went into bankruptcy at the end of the 30’s;
The Record Factory opened in Guşteriţa.
The Graziosa Mill Factory opened. At that time it had 25 employees, its main object of activity being the producing of metal and paper goods. The factory will be nationalized in 1948 when it took the name of “Flaro”;
The iron and metal casting house owned by Buzdughici and Hoza opened on Lungă Street;
Josef Theil moved his salami factory from Mediaş to Sibiu under the name of "Theil u. Co. A.G. Salami und Selchwarenfabrik". In 1939 it was purchased by Robert Berghaus from Germany. After he rehabilitated it and equipped it with modern machines, he reopened it in 1941 under the name of Scandia Romana S.A.R.;
|1923||“The military equipment repair workshop” opened on Victoriei Boulevard as a branch of A.P.A.C.A. (The Public Autonomous Army Textile Workshops).
It unwound its activity under this name until 1949 when it transformed into the "Steaua Rosie" textile factory;
|1924||Julius Lissai founded the first glass and mirror factory in Sibiu. It will later be known under the name of “Venus”|
|1925||The “Viitorul” leather factory opened on Rotarilor Street.|
|1926||The Ziegler & Stano candy factory, which was later called ASTRA, opened on Lanei Street. After the nationalization, it will change its name to Olga Bacic.
Here are other sweets factories which unwound their activity in the period between the two World Wars:
- The Carpatia Sugar and Oriental Goods Factory;
- The Johann Szentgyorgy Sugar and Chocolate Factory on Constituţiei Street;
|1927||The Areka hose factory opened on Râului Street. After the nationalization the factory took the name of “7 Noiembrie”;|
The hose and textile factory owned by F.W. Hemper & K.Fritz Scherer opened, being the successor of the Karl Scherer & Sons Factory. After nationalization, it became a section of the “7 noiembrie” Factory.
|1938||The“Rodica” Vinegar Factory was opened by the Vineculture Society;
Paraschiva and Bucur Droc founded the “Crinul” Hose and Textile Factory. After the nationalization it became the“Avântul Proletar” (The Proletary Animus) Factory and was subsequently incorporated in the 7 Noiembrie Plant;
|1948||The nationalization of factories began.|
|mb @ 01/02/2014, 15:57|
|Karla @ 31/01/2014, 18:01|
|vio @ 09/09/2013, 16:21|
|Georg Schoenpflug von Gambsenberg @ 08/09/2013, 21:35|