|History in brief|
|History of printing|
|School in Sibiu|
|Medicine in Sibiu|
|History of Pharmacy|
|Sport in Sibiu:1845-1945|
|1380||A school is mentioned to have existed on the present day location of the Evangelic Gymnasium;|
|1526||The Dominicans opened a superior school named Studium generale Cibiniensis, which will cease to exist after the Reform was introduced;|
|1692||The Jesuits opened the Catholic Gymnasium;|
|1723||Georg Legradi opened the first Hungarian school;|
|1734||The Ursuline nuns founded a Girls’ School;|
|1773||Michael Blassius founded the school for midwives;|
|1780||The Catholic gymnasium was reorganized under the name of Gymnasium regium Cibiniensis.|
|1783||The Greek-Catholic elementary school opened near the “Dintre Brazi” Church|
|1786||The first Orthodox school for the preparation of teachers and priests opened;|
|1797||The Catholic elementary school for boys opened, its head offices being hosted in the building near the Council Tower. It ceased its activity in 1948.|
|1803||Hagi Constantin Pop founded a “rate school”, the first Romanian elementary school, near the “Din groapa” Church.|
|1829||The first military instruction school opened;|
|1832||The Gremial-Handels Lehrlingsschule School for salesmen was founded. The school took over the patrimony of the Commerce Society in Sibiu in 1869. The school ceased its activity on July 3rd 1948, the Expert Body having dissolved then as well. Initially it unwound its activity in the Huet Square and after 1893 it moved to Centumvirilor Street;|
|1833||Tailor Zerner gifted the house near the Tower stairs to the trade school;|
|1835||Johann Michaelis founded a private school for girls which had a boarding house and a buttery. The school closed down in 1849 when the school’s management fled seeking refuge over the Carpathian Mountains;|
|1841||An apprentice Sunday school - Sonntagsschule für Lehrlinge – opened;|
|1842||The crafts school – Gewerbeschule - opened;|
|1844||The Law Academy opened, several law branches being studied here such as equity, administrative, civil and economic law. It ceased its activity in 1887.|
|1845||The gymnastics school opened on Gimnasticii Street;|
|1857||The military school moved to a new building at the end of Victoriei Boulevard;|
|1858||The Evangelic Gymnasium transformed into the Superior Gymnasium;|
|1864||The superior math and science school (Oberrealschule) opened|
|1866||The institution for the preparation of domestic help, Dienstmann-Institutes, opened on Arhivelor Street|
|1867||The cadet school opened in Barracks 90;|
|1868||The State Catholic Gymnasium becomes a Hungarian language teaching institution;|
|1869||The Evangelic elementary school on G. Coşbuc Street was abandoned;|
|1871||Theresa Jikeli opened the first German kindergarten;|
The Cadet School moved into the new building on Calea Dumbrăvii Street;
The Hungarian elementary school opened on Avram Iancu Street;
|1878||The Evangelic elementary school was transformed into a citizens’ school. The Evangelic math and science school extended to 8 classes (no. 5, Huet Square);|
|1882||An Evangelic kindergarten opened in the Lower Town;|
An Evangelic boarding house for scholars was built;
The Romanian elementary civilian school for girls opened;
The work school of the General Association of Evangelic Women - Arbeitsschule des Hermannstädter Ortsvereins des ev. allg. Frauenvereins A. B. – first opened on Arhivelor Street and moved in the building on Filarmonicii Street in 1907;
The reunion of citizen and craftsmen built a study;(Schülerwerkstätte);
The Hungarian language state elementary school for girls opened. It will close down in 1918.
The trade school for shoemakers opened (at no. 8, Honterus). In 1893 it moved on Centumvirilor Street;
The Romanian Civilian Superior School for Girls opened on Şaguna Street;
The reunion of citizens and craftsmen built a trade school for the wood industry - Fachschule für Holzindustrie - in Mitropoliei Street
The agricultural school of the county of Sibiu- Die landwirtschaftliche Lehranstalt - began its activity in the neighborhood of Terezian.
Julie Jikeli opened a manege school for girls on Somesului Street. In 1907 it was incorporated and transferred onto Filarmonicii Street
|1891||The Evangelic Seminar (Landeskircheseminar ev A.B.) opened on Victoriei Boulevard|
|1892||The new Evangelic school for girls was inaugurated on Constiututiei Street;|
|1894||The school for the training of domestic help was opened by the Association of Evangelic Women - Dienstbotenschule în Schneidmuhlgasse 16 (Arhivelor Street, Şcoala de Înot Street)|
|1895||The boarding house for apprentices opened on Arhivelor Street;|
|1896||The Evangelic elementary school opened in the new building on Al Odobescu Street (the present day Art High School)|
The new Hungarian state gymnasium was inaugurated;
The school for industrial and commercial apprentices was inaugurated on Movilei Street;
|1900||The Roman-Catholic elementary school was inaugurated on Filarmonicii Street|
|1905||The school for economy and household industry opened in the edifice of Albina Bank;|
|1908||The Evangelic school for girls opened on Constituţiei Street;|
The Evangelic boarding house for boys opened on Avram Iancu Street;
The orphanage opened on Soldisch Bastion;
The new cadet school opened on Calea Poplacii Street;
|1910||The Orthodox elementary school opened on Bastionului Street (present day school no. 15)|
|1912||The Evangelic boarding house for students opened on Şaguna Street;|
|1913||A manege and household industry school opened on Dealului Street. It will later change its name to the Girls’ Trade School;|
|1914||The State Institute for the training of midwives was inaugurated;|
The Girls High School opened, also integrating the Civilian Girls’ School of the Association. Starting with 1924 it will bear the name of “Domniţa Ileana” High School;
The Andrei Şaguna normal school was founded;
The Superior Commerce School for Boys and Girls was founded;
The horticulture school for women opened on October 1st, 1920, at no.58 on Şcoala de Înot Street;
An eight grade Roman-Catholic high school and a class of the Superior Commercial School opened in the Teresianum complex;
The Art and Crafts School opened on Centumvirilor Street. The school had three departments: shoemaking, tailoring and fine saddlery. It later became the Industrial Gymnasium for boys and in the 40’s it was known under the name of the Industrial Technical School. After the coming of the communists it bore the name of Centrocoop Cooperation School Group;
The old school which was unwinding its activity in the Franciscan Monastery on Dealului Street changed its name into the Nursing School of the Franciscan nuns. On April 19th, 1938 the school change its name again into the Education Institute of the Franciscan Nuns and was known under this name until 1948;
|1927||The new Evangelic School for Girls opened on Banatului Street;|
|1929||The new “Regina Maria” school for girls was inaugurated on Zaharia Boiu Street;|
|1930||The reformed primary school for girls and boys opened at no. 13, on Mitropoliei Street. It ceased its activity in 1948.|
|1934||The general school in the Terezian neighborhood opened (the present day no. 13 school);|
|1936||The Elementary Commerce School for boys merged with the Superior Commerce School for boys, forming the Commerce School for boys, offering an eight years education. This organization was preserved until 1948.|
The Domniţa Ileana High School received the name “Middle School no. 3”, having a math and science department and a humanistic department. In the years which followed the school had a German language class during certain periods of time, and starting with 1960 and until the present, a number of four Hungarian classes.
The apprentice school of the Independenta Plant opened in the building of the Herma factory.
The Agriculture Middle School was founded in the building of the former Evangelic school for girls on Banatului Street. Medical Technical School no. 2 opened in the building of the Franciscan Monastery.
The school for protection sisters substituted the Franciscan Monastery School, being placed under the patronage of the Red Cross and under the subordination of the Ministry of Health;
|1950||The Metallurgic Middle School was founded in the building of the former schools of commerce at no.8, on Movilei Street|
|1952||The technical school for boys moved from Bucharest to Sibiu, its head offices being situated at no. 6, on Dealului Street. In 1955, the Technical Middle School for boys and Medical Technical School for boys no. 2 merged under the name of the Sanitary School Center in Sibiu.|
|1955||The Crafts School for Apprentices was opened by The Ministry of Wood Industry;|
|1957||The Art School was founded. Starting with 1964 the school took the name of the Music High School and in 1965 it was mentioned under the name of Music and Plastic Arts High School;|
|1958||The UCECOM Crafts School opened on Centumvirilor Street;|
|1959||The Independenta Foremen Technical School opened;|
|1960||The Independenta School Group opened;|
|1965||The Construction Industrial School opened in the building on Pedagogilor Street, which used to foster the Andrei Saguna School. The school received various names, in accordance with the changes in the Romanian educational field: The Construction School Center, Industrial High School no. 7, the Industrial School Group for Constructions and Installations. Starting with 1997 the school took its present day name: “CAROL I” HIGH SCHOOL FOR CONSTRUCTIONS AND ARHITECTURE and starting with the same year, it doubled its size following the merger with Industrial High School no. 6.|
|1966||The Agricultural High School was founded within the Sibiu School Center on Banatului Street. In 1992 it became the Agricultural School Group in Sibiu. In 1997, on the occasion of the 50 year anniversary of the school, it received the name of “D. P. Barcianu” Agricultural School Group and starting with the year 2000 it functioned under the name of “D. P. Barcianu” Agricultural College.|
|1967||The Economic Science High School was founded;|
|1970||The Octavian Goga High School moved to the new building on Mitropoliei Street;|
The Faculty of Economical and Administrative Sciences was founded within the Babeş-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca. În 1974, the faculty received a new profile, becoming the Economical and Administrative Law Department within the same university. Starting with 1977, when the Superior Education Institute in Sibiu was founded, it became the Economical and Administrative Law Faculty within the same institution, being the only faculty in the Romania of those times offering these majors.
Mechanical High School no. 1 was founded within the Independenta School Group. Subsequently it will bear the name of Independenta High School until 1989, when it took its old name once again – the Independenta School Group.
|1974||The Textile Industrial High School was founded within the Professional and Technical Group for Foremen situated on Dealului Street (the former Franciscan Monastery). Starting with 1982, the school took the name of "7 Noiembrie" Industrial High School and in 1989 the school name changed once again into the Light Industry School Group. In 2000 it became the Technical Textile College in Sibiu.|
The Sanitary High School opened on Dealului Street. In 1990 it changed its name into the Sanitary School Group which comprised the theoretical high school and the state post- high – school sanitary school.
In 1999 the education institution changed its name into the “Constantin Noica” High School, the name under which it unwinds its activity today.
The music and plastic arts departments of the Art High School were moved into the Pedagogical High School. The Music and Plastic Arts High School transformed into the General Art High School and subsequently into General School no. 14.
Industrial High School no. 3 opened on Movilei Street. Subsequently the school emblem changed into the Forestry School Group, then into the School Group for the Exploitation and Industrialization of Wood and in 1996 it became the “Avram Iancu’’ School Group.
|1987||Following the fact that no positions were approved for students, the Philology and History Faculty and the Faculty of Economic and Administrative Law in Sibiu ceased their activity|
The University of Sibiu is founded; In 1995 it changes the name in "Lucian Blaga" University;
The Art High School recommenced its activity;
The Legal Sciences Faculty was founded by breaking away from the Faculty of Letters and History. In the session of 1995/1996, the tradition of the administrative studies in Sibiu was renewed by the creation of the public administration department. Consequently, the name of the institution changed into the Faculty of Legal and Administrative Sciences.
The present day name of the institution – The Simion Bărnuţiu Law School – was taken starting with the session in 2000/2001.