1. home
  2. Upper Town
  3. Str. T. Popovici
  4. No. 5, Timotei Popovici Street

No. 5, Timotei Popovici Street


18th century

The main body is formed of a basement, a ground floor and the first floor, its façade being structured on seven lines. The semi-circular arched passageway of the cross-arched pedestrian access way is situated at the center. The ridged roof has a crest parallel to the façade, displaying three eye-shaped skylights.

The Hermannstädter Sparkassa was founded here in 1841, Michael Herbert being the first manager and the owner of the building.

Julius Oberth, a surgeon and father of scientist Stefan Oberth lived in this edifice. Stefan Oberth lived here until 1896.