1. home
  2. Historic Center
  3. Piaţa Mică
  4. No. 25, Small Square

No. 25, Small Square


15-16th century; 1745


The building realized  in an irregular shape is made up of basement, ground floor and two floors. The back building was built in the 18th century. The frontage with short side towards the square has 4 axis on a level. The two sided high roof, with the ridge parallel with the frontage has two eye dormer windows. The loggia is cross vaulted. In the basement it can be found the old defense wall of the town from the 13th century.

Special architectural elements:

-The frontage with the floor windows having adjustable edges and traditional carpentry, decorated with ancadraments
-The opened loggia in the ground level with four archways supported on mortar piles and stone pillows. The loggia is covered with vaults with penetrations .
-The Goldensmiths Guild coat of arms  in a floor room made in a polychrome structure, with the monogram G.K.  from 1745
-The connection staircase between the floors with a metallic parapet ( end of the XIXtth century)
-The ceiling with a festonated  plaster work decoration


At the end of the XIXth century the stone loggia was blocked up and shops were installed . The loggia was reopened during the restauration in 1958.  
In 1826  Samuel Filtsch opened a printing house, a publishing  house and a book-shop. From 1868 the business was run by his son-in –law  Wilhelm Johann Krafft who was married with Karoline, Filtsch’s daughter. Krafft moved the printing house on the Avram Iancu nr. 10. The Publishing house and the book-shop were taken over by Filtsch’s other son-in-law  Julius Spreer. Until 1879 the publishing house and the book-shop were called “the successor of S. Filtsch”, and it was run until the 19th century.

In this building Ion Heliade Radulescu’s “ Romanian Grammar” was printed in 1828.