1. home
  2. Historic Center
  3. Piaţa Mică
  4. No. 3, Small Square

No. 3, Small Square


1726-1739, changes in 1901


The building is made of an almost rectangular site expanding between the Large Square and the Small Square joining the Roman-Catholic Church in the west. Unfolding on all the sides of the ground, the building closes an interior rectangular yard, having four levels: basement, ground level and two floors. The rooms and the halls are covered with cylindrical vaults with penetrations. The building has the  side gabled roof, the ridge parallel with the frontage, three tin plate semicircular dormer windows.
The frontage ground level has been restaurated in the 1964 having the archways rebuilt.
In the ground level  the six axis have archways with shops inside. These shops have been accomplished from the beginning by the monks, the front bay being initially opened.

Special architectural elements:

- The Nepomuk statue (1734)
- The stone ancadraments of the floor windows;
-  The stone ancadrament from the former main gate,  which is being built presently.


The Jesuit monks built the building on former buildings from the XV-XVIth centuries which have been demolished, in the old zwinger. The monastery wing toward the Small Square initially had a wooden portic where the monks established shops. The front bay of the shops was opened until the XIXth century offering a way through the archways.
Among the numerous shops that activated in the 6 commercial areas in the ground level we mention Haus Keul’s manufacture shop ( the second on the left part), opened in 1913 and functioning until after the World War, Teodor Popescu’s fabric and material shop from the second half of the XIXth century ( moving on nr. 13), Michale Maschalko’s manufactures shop in the second half of the XIXth century and beginning of the XXth century and Anton Demeter’s manufacture shop until 1898 when is being replaced by Golstein &Archer.